Tuesday, April 15, 2014

{ mini } decor: diy wall art

Lately I've been working on some mini home decor projects. Last week I put together a few new flower arrangements to spruce up my bedroom, and I just made this 3D inspired wall art piece. The canvas I used is about 12 x 9 inches,  making it the perfect size to hang on a narrow wall or prop up on my desk. I love how it turned out!


I used pearl beads and thin wire to create the pieces for the chevron pattern. Wire cutters and beading pliers also came in handy. I made single strands of beads to glue onto the canvas, rather than gluing on each bead individually. This definitely speeded up the process!


First I made 24 individual strands of pearl beads. For reference, each of my strands has 18 beads on it. You can measure out how long these should be based on your canvas size, but I was fine just estimating. 

Once all of the strands were done, I used the ruler as a guide to lay out a single chevron stripe (as seen in the picture above to the right). I made a mark underneath each strand and glued each one into place. Hot glue worked the best for me. 

After each single stripe was done, I glued another directly under the first. My chevrons just had two layers of beads in each stripe, but I would recommend more for a larger canvas. 



When all the beads were glued, I noticed a gap at the peaks of each chevron. See them above in the picture to the left? Luckily, all I had to do was glue one more bead into the empty space. 

And ta-da! I love this cute little design. I'd also like to replicate the idea onto a full size canvas - wouldn't that make a great accent piece?! Unfortunately, gluing all the beads on would take a looong time. Hmm... perhaps I can find some larger pearl beads. I guess we'll see! 

xoxo - hannah



No comments:

Post a Comment